Affects Version/s: JRuby 1.6
Fix Version/s: JRuby 1.6RC3
Environment:OS: Ubuntu Maverick 64 bits; Java: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b06, mixed mode)
Number of attachments :
This a serious performance regression. startup time to launch the exact same small JRuby program (see how to donwload it below)
- along with jruby-complete 1.5.6: 12 seconds
- along with jruby-complete trunk: 45 seconds!
(trunk is from today, GIT id 254d3d0cde5b27eba920ff26b08b5adf68f9ab5e )
The part of the program I'm testing here does something very simple in that test: basically, it's just the standard jruby-complete.jar executable with the following modifications:
- there is some 4 custom extra gems bundled in jruby.home
- the Main class is changed in to that class: https://github.com/rvalyi/terminatooor/blob/master/src/com/akretion/OOORConsole.java
which basically only launch the standard IRB swing console.
The IRB Swing console start script has been modified a bit however in our case to pre-require our custom gems and possible custom extensions:
There is absolutely no code logic involved here from the 'ooor' bundled gem so just don't bother about what it does.
here is the exectable jar in both configurations:
- jruby-complete 1.5.6: http://akretion.s3.amazonaws.com/code/jruby-ooor-1.5.6.jar
- jruby-complete trunk: http://akretion.s3.amazonaws.com/code/jruby-ooor-trunk.jar
just test the startup time by doing:
java -jar jruby-ooor-xxx.jar
I'm pretty sure this regression occurs those last 3/4 weeks as I remembered I tested it and it wasn't that slow.
If that is of any help here is how the jar is assembled: https://github.com/rvalyi/terminatooor (build.xml and 'ant' task)
Hope this helps. Don't hesitate if you have question, I'm aslo rvalyi on twitter for fast feedback.