This is my third bugreport on JiBX (two are here and one is in Axis2 bugtracking system). I think it is because we are using JiBX for datmopping only on one side of webservices communication.
This time i have found two problems that appear to have the same root. First problem deals with datamapping when JiBX marshals value for xsd:date element. So JiBX is marshaling Date to the XML where xsd:date is expected by using it's default mapping for Date. As i have found after discovering the problem, in such case JiBX 1) uses standard transformation as for xsd:dateTime type, and 2) when writing to XML, JiBX converts date to UTC timezone. Combination of these two features makes other side to receive a date value that is different from the sent value (the received date is one day before the date which was sent) when the timezone on a host making request is set ahead UTC (e.g., UTC+1 in my case). This is because, e.g. to sent the date "1st of January, 2008" on the host having UTC+1 timezone, the jibix marshals the date as datewithtime and then converts to UTC, as a result one will have somewhat like "2007-12-31T23:00:00Z" in the XML. Then the receiving side, that expects xsd:date here, reads just date "2007-12-31" from that XML and usially ignores the timezone specified. So the result in this example usially will be "31st of December, 2007".
The second problem arises when JiBX is on the receiving side and is unmarshaling the value that was sent as a value of xsd:date. The sender sends an XML value like "2005-12-21+02:00". Then the JiBX, looking at the type in valueobject (the type is usially java.util.Date) by default unmarshals the xml value as a value for xsd:dateTime... and raises exception JiBXException("Missing 'T' separator in dateTime"). This is done inside org.jibx.runtime.Utility.parseDateTime(String).
After i've got both the issues i've googled such conversation: http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg00110.html
So i went to org.jibx.runtime.Utility, found the appropriate methods (de)serializeDate and have added such formatter to my binding.xml:
<mapping name="MyInfoList" class="com.my.MyInfo">
<namespace uri="http://www.my.com/myinfo" default="elements"/>
<value name="SettlementDate" format="date-without-time" field="settlementDate" usage="required"/>
Finally, i've tried the changes in runtime... and got JiBXException("Invalid date format") on the Utility:711. The text in my case was "2005-12-21+02:00", the validity flag was set to false on the line Utility:707, and when executing the line 706 the value of split was 10. So the text.charAt(Split) in my case was '+' and i wonder what for is the comparation text.charAt(split+3) != '-' at the line 706...
703: if (text.length() < minc)
706: if (text.charAt(split) != '
' || text.charAt(split+3) != '')
In summary, there is no method in org.jibx.runtime.Utility that is ready to deserialize xsd:date value. And to have such method is a must since xsd:date is quite common type in webservices definitions. Please add such method. And i think that the way one should write XSD to work with xsd:date is worth going to JiBX FAQ.